CRAZY CAKE, also known as Wacky Cake & Depression Cake – No Eggs, Milk, Butter, Bowls or Mixers! Super moist and delicious. Go-to recipe for egg/dairy allergies. Great activity to do with kids. Recipe dates back to the Great Depression. It’s darn good cake!
For years, my youngest one never had cake because of her egg allergy. I know there are worse things in life…but no cake? That just stinks. She never had REAL cake until my good friend shared her mom’s Chocolate Crazy Cake recipe with me four years ago – also known as Wacky Cake. This cake has no eggs. No eggs?! Huh?! How can you make cake without eggs?! The recipe didn’t even call for an electric mixer! When my girlfriend gave me the recipe, all I could think was how will it taste like real cake? It can’t be possible.
From that day on, it was good-bye to the same old ice cream cakes we had EVERY SINGLE YEAR for EVERY birthday….and hello yummy REAL chocolate cake…with ice cream on top.
Chocolate Crazy Cake Recipe (No Eggs, Milk, Butter or Bowls)
- 1 1/2 Cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 Cup sugar (All purpose sugar – Granulated Pure Cane Sugar)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Cup water
Directions (picture tutorial below)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix first 5 dry ingredients in a greased 8″ square baking pan. Make 3 depressions in dry ingredients – two small, one larger (see #3 in photo below). Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in the other and the vegetable oil in third larger depression. Pour water over all. Mix well until smooth.
Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes. Check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. Cool. Top with your favorite frosting. Enjoy!
- For a great easy chocolate frosting (my favorite) head over to THE YUMMY LIFE, for a ONE MINUTE FROSTING recipe!
- For a dairy free frosting recipe, head over to Oh She Glows for a simple 2-ingredient chocolate fudge frosting recipe!
- Great Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting recipe from The Beating Hearth!
- You can double this recipe, just use a 9×13 baking pan.
- Mix batter in a bowl for neater, easier mixing. Be sure to follow the directions the same way – mixing the dry ingredients then making the depressions for the wet ingredients. Don’t forget to grease your pan. You can also make cupcakes – be sure to adjust baking time.
- Google Bob’s Red Mill’s Gluten-Free Crazy Cake
- Many have shared that this recipe is great served warm or cold with just sprinkling powdered sugar on top.
- This cake is also a great activity to do with kids.
- For cupcakes, please head over for my Crazy Cupcakes recipe.
Many people have asked if I have a Crazy Banana Cake recipe. I don’t have one yet, but stay tuned. In the meantime, here is a CRAZY BANANA CAKE with CREAM CHEESE FROSTING recipe that’s not crazy because it’s dairy and egg free (this recipe contains eggs, butter and buttermilk), but crazy because of how it is made… and it’s amazing!