This week we celebrated our youngest daughter’s 17th birthday. Even though she has outgrown her egg allergy, Crazy Cake (also known as Wacky Cake and Depression Cake) is still the only cake she wants on her special day.
TWO-LAYER CRAZY CAKE (No Eggs, Milk Or Butter)
Crazy cake also known as Wacky Cake & Depression Cake – No Eggs, Milk, Butter or Mixers! This ONE-BOWL layer cake is super moist and absolutely delicious. Go-to recipe for egg/dairy allergies – it’s vegan! Great activity to do with kids. Recipe dates back to the Great Depression. It’s darn good cake!
Every year I have been making her cake in a baking dish, just like the original recipe calls for.
This year I decided to finally make a layer cake, doubling the recipe, mixing the batter in a bowl and baking the cake in two 9 inch round cake pans.
All of My Crazy Cake Flavors Can Be Layered
To layer a crazy cake, simply double the recipe like I did below for Chocolate Crazy Cake, mixing the batter in a large bowl following the same directions for the wet and dry ingredients. Divide the batter evenly between two 9 inch round prepared cake pans (8 inch round cake pans work too). Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees f. – check with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean.
Oven baking times may vary, keep an eye on your cake to make sure you do not over bake.
This cake is so simple to make, so good. It’s even better the next day!
TWO-LAYER CHOCOLATE CRAZY CAKE (No eggs, Milk or Butter)
- 3 cups flour (all-purpose/plain flour)
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa (unsweetened)
- 2 cups sugar (all-purpose sugar – granulated pure cane sugar)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil (or 10 Tablespoons)
- 2 cups water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare two 9 inch round cake pans with grease/oil, flour, parchment paper. Learn how to prepare cake pans.
In a large bowl mix the first 5 dry ingredients. Make 3 depressions in dry ingredients – two small, one larger. Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in the other and the vegetable oil in third larger depression. Pour water over all. Mix well until smooth.
Divide cake batter evenly between the two round cake pans.
Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Frost and layer cake with your favorite frosting – homemade or store bought.
- Oven baking times may vary, keep an eye on your cake to make sure you do not over bake.
- You can use an 8 or 9 inch round baking pans.
- If you have never made a layer cake, here are great tips on How To Make A Two-Layer Cake
- Make sure your baking soda is fresh, vinegar too. These two ingredients make the cake rise.
- For a dairy-free chocolate frosting recipe, head over to Oh She Glows, for a simple 2-Ingredient Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- For an easy chocolate frosting, head over to The Yummy Life, for One Minute Frosting
- Dairy-Free Buttercream Frosting from Minimalist Baker
- Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting from Add a Pinch
Thanks so much for stopping by!