I was busy in the kitchen on Friday, experimenting with the recipe for a party over the weekend. I am so excited to share this new version – it turned out wonderful. Everyone loved the cake! Just like the original, the cake turned out super moist and delicious. With a just hint of coffee and Kahlúa, it’s a yummy twist on the Great Depression era recipe.
- I have no affiliation with the makers of Kahlúa, I’m just a fan!
- Links to Chocolate, Lemon, Vanilla and Spiced Crazy Cakes can be found at the bottom of this post.
Coffee & Kahlúa Crazy/Wacky Cake
- 1 1/2 Cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 Cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 Cup brewed coffee (cold or room temperature)
- 1/4 Cup Kahlúa
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix first 5 dry ingredients in a greased 8″ square baking pan. Make 3 depressions in dry ingredients – two small, one larger (see #3 in photo below). Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in the other and the vegetable oil in third larger depression. Pour coffee and Kahlúa over all. Mix well until smooth.
Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes. Check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. Cool. Top with your favorite chocolate frosting or sprinkle with powdered sugar. Enjoy!
- For a great easy chocolate frosting (my favorite) head over to THE YUMMY LIFE,for a ONE MINUTE FROSTING recipe!
- For a dairy free frosting recipe, head over to Oh She Glows for a simple 2-ingredient chocolate fudge frosting recipe!
You can double the recipe, just use a 9×13 baking pan.
You can also mix the batter in a bowl for neater, easier mixing AND for cupcakes (adjust baking time for cupcakes). Be sure to follow the directions the same way – mixing the dry ingredients then making the depressions for the wet ingredients.
Although I have not used Gluten Free flour mixes for this recipe, many people have use it for the Original Chocolate Crazy Cake, and it turns out wonderful! “Yes it is yummy and very moist. It even works with gf flour mixes!”
COFFEE & KAHLUA CRAZY CAKE IN A MUG
- 5 Tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 4 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (or canola)
- 4 Tablespoons brewed coffee (cold or room temperature)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Kahlúa
More Crazy Cake flavors:
Thanks so much for stopping by!