“If I could give this more stars I would! This is ‘Classic Apple Pie’ taken to a whole new level of deliciousness. My husband and I loved it!”
“Thank you Grandma Ople, wherever you are! I’ve only attempted a fresh apple pie a few times, and they were always just mediocre. This recipe, however, turned out incredible!”
“I have been making this for Thanksgiving and Christmas for two years now and plan to this year. It was a huge hit every time it has been made!”
“I’ve made this pie twice now, exactly as written, my husband said its the best pie he’s ever had. I have to agree!”
“What a wonderful apple pie recipe, I’ve made this about 4 times now and each time it’s delicious and I get so many compliments!”
Grandma Ople’s Apple Pie
- *1 recipe for 9 inch double pie crust, or store bought
- 8 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- few dashes of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (yes, tablespoon) and reduced the water by 1 tablespoon
- *Looking for a great pie crust recipe, try my grandma’s – 9 Inch Pie Crust recipe, two crust pie
- Before making the butter-sugar sauce, have your pie crust ready to go- apples in the pie plate with the lattice top already placed.
- Many people suggested taking 3/4 of the sugar mixture and tossing the apples to coat before placing in the pie plate, then topping the remaining sugar mixture over the pie crust. I did not do this, I followed the directions and poured the mixture in the lattice openings. There is a great video provided that shows you step-by step how to make the pie and how to do the lattice for the top crust.
- Be sure to bake your pie on the middle rack of oven so it does not burn.
- Don’t forget to bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes, THEN REDUCE HEAT to 350 degrees f and continue baking for 35-45 minutes.
- This pie needs time to set, so it’s best to wait before serving.
Thank you Grandma Ople, for such a wonderful recipe.
Thanks so much for stopping by!