I had fun playing in my kitchen today and made a Chocolate Crazy Cake in a Mug! Not familiar with Crazy cake? The recipe is also known as Wacky Cake and Depression Cake – No Eggs, Milk, Butter, Bowls or Mixers! It’s an awesome go-to recipe for egg/dairy allergies and fun to make with kids. The recipe dates back to the Great Depression. It’s darn good cake that’s inexpensive to make, super moist and delicious.
READ GREAT REVIEWS FROM PEOPLE WHO TRIED THIS RECIPE ON PINTEREST (PHOTOS)!
Learn more about the Depression era cake recipe below.
I have never made a cake in a mug in the microwave before and wasn’t sure if it could be done with the Crazy Cake recipe. I have seen tons of recipes for single serving microwave mug cakes and wanted to give it a try. I did a quick Google search for mug cakes and actually came across a Microwave Vegan Wacky Cake. After a few adjustments and attempts, I have an awesome go-to recipe for a single serving Crazy Cake that takes just minutes to make – super moist, absolutely delicious chocolate cake! The best part, everyone in my family can enjoy it because it’s egg-free.
Crazy Cake in a Mug
- 5 Tablespoons flour (all-purpose)
- 4 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (or canola oil)
- 4 1/2 Tablespoons water
- Each microwave cooks differently, adjust time accordingly! One person made the cake in 1 minute 40 seconds, and another in 1 minute 20 seconds.
- Make sure your baking soda is fresh, vinegar too, they are what make the cake rise.
- If you want a neater mug cake, mix the cake batter in a small bowl, then pour the batter in the mug.
- You can add mini chocolate chips to the batter for a super rich chocolate cake…or do what I did, throw some on top after you make it, while it’s still warm! Mmm, mmm good!