This recipe is known by many names, Chocolate Saltine Toffee, Bark Candy, and many call it Crack, because it’s so addictive. I opted to make a sweet and salty version, but you can top it with whatever you like. I love versatile recipes.
Use colored m&ms for different holidays – Halloween, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July.
My friend shared this recipe with me a couple of weeks ago – she got it from a co-worker. I made the bark within a few days of having the recipe in my hands, for our Memorial Day weekend cookout. I made two different kinds…one for the adults and one for the kids! Guess which one is for the kids?
Sweet and Salty Bark
- saltine crackers (approx 40-50)
- 3/4 Cup butter
- 3/4 Cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- m&ms (I chopped the m&ms, optional) – Use colored m&ms for different holidays – Halloween, Christmas, Easter, 4th of July
- pretzel pieces
- nuts (pecans, almonds, peanuts)
- peanut butter chips
*I forgot to take a picture of the chocolate chips spread out after melting. Don’t forget to spread them, once they begin to melt, BEFORE you sprinkle on the toppings!