Ina’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake – Impress family and friends with this easy to make, super moist, absolutely delicious coffee cake! Filled with streusel in the middle of the cake and on top, then finished with a maple glaze drizzle…it’s coffee cake perfection.
This is another recipe my sister and I made during my visit to see her in Alaska. This is her go-to coffee cake recipe, perfect for those cold Alaskan winter mornings. There is nothing better than a slice of this cake, a good cup of coffee, sitting next to a roaring fire catching up with my sister.
The sour cream in the cake is what makes it super moist.
This cake is best served with your favorite cup of Joe or tea.
Ina’s Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Streusel
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
For the maple glaze
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup