I was so happy to find this recipe after enjoying pickled eggs from my favorite mom and pop store while living in Ohio. This wonderful recipe was shared by Cathy Swanson on allrecipes.com. This is her late grandmother’s recipe that’s loved by many.
What you need – eggs, can of beets in liquid, white vinegar, white sugar, water, and cinnamon (optional).
To make – hard-boil eggs, peel and place in large mason jar or bowl. In a medium size saucepan, add can of beets including all of the juice, vinegar, sugar, water and cinnamon (cinnamon is optional). Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. When sugar is completely dissolved, remove and pour over eggs. Cover jar/bowl tightly and place in fridge for at least 4 hours. Enjoy!
Quick Pickled Eggs and Beets
- 8 eggs (hard-boiled and peeled)
- 1 (15 ounce can) sliced beets with liquid
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
For the full directions and to print this wonderful recipe, please head to allrecipes.com. While you’re there, be sure to read the great reviews!
- Chill in fridge for at least 4 hours. For best results and brighter color, keep in fridge for a few days before eating.
- You can decrease the sugar if you like less sweet eggs and/or increase the vinegar.
- Add thin sliced onions.
- If you do not have a large mason jar, you can use a large glass or plastic bowl with a tight cover.
- I omitted the cinnamon – the eggs I love in Ohio did not contain cinnamon.
Thanks so much for stopping by!