Today I am sharing an old school classic – Old Fashioned Tuna Noodle Casserole! Comfort food at its best!
Egg noddles in a delicious creamy mushroom soup sauce tossed with tuna, sauteed onions, peas and cheddar cheese, topped with crushed potato chips then baked to perfection…just like grandma used make. Old school comfort food.
Read the rave reviews on Pinterest from people who have tried this recipe!
If you were a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s, there’s a good chance this casserole was served often at the dinner table – it was a staple in our home. This recipe was passed down from my grandma and has changed a smidgen over the years but still remains a classic.
Old school comfort food at its best! Simple to make, so good.
To make you will need: Egg noodles, cream of mushroom soup, mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, solid white albacore tuna, yellow onion, butter, peas, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper and potato chips.
Place casserole on middle rack of oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes uncovered, until casserole is completely heated through. Enjoy!
Old Fashioned Tuna Noodle Casserole
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles (not extra wide), slightly under cooked with a little firmness *under cook about 2 minutes less than according to package
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounce can solid white albacore tuna in water, drained well
- 2 cans (10.5 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup – OR make homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (like Hellmann’s – not Miracle Whip)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Prepare egg noodles, making sure to slightly under cook them by 2 minutes so they are slightly firm. Drain well.
There are many variations for tuna casserole – you can easily adapt this recipe to your liking:
- I love tuna casserole served with a wedge of lemon to squeeze on top
- omit onion and peas if you do not care for them
- add some sauteed celery if you like
- instead of potato chips, top with bread crumbs, French fried onions or top with extra cheddar cheese if you want it super cheesy
- use cream of chicken soup instead of cream of mushroom or mix in a can of cream of celery with cream of mushroom or cream of chicken
- jazz it up with spices
- not a fan of tuna…substitute with chicken
Thanks so much for stopping by!