I highly recommend using my salad dressing recipe below – no substituting. All the flavors together is what makes this salad so delicious.
Mary’s Best-Ever Salad:
- 1 bag spring salad mix
- 1 bag romaine
- 3 oz bag of Oscar Mayer real bacon (It’s best to make your own bacon – but I almost always cheat – applewood smoked bacon is awesome with this salad)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1 large granny smith apple, chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans or almonds
- 5 oz Gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbled
Clean lettuce, place in large bowl and top with ingredients – toss.
- You can add more or less of each ingredient – do what you prefer.
- Chop the apple right before serving to prevent it from browning.
- To toast almonds or pecans – place in skillet on medium high heat, stirring until they are toasted.
- If you plan on serving the entire salad, go ahead and add the dressing a little at a time, blending until you reach desired amount. If not, keep dressing separate and add individually.
- This salad is great with grilled chicken tossed on top for a meal.
Mary’s Sweet Balsamic Dressing
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard (or a little squeeze of yellow or Grey Poupon mustard)
- Few twists of fresh cracked pepper Or use 1/8 tsp of reg ground pepper
Whisk all the ingredients together, until sugar and oil are blended. It takes a few minutes for the oil and sugar to blend. Keep whisking….it will blend.