Is it Margherita Pizza or Pizza Margherita?! Hmmm??? What it is is so darn good.
I’m not a rule follower when it comes to recipes and always do my own twist on classics. For the pizza pictured above I used a store bought wheat pizza dough. For a Margherita Pizza you can make your own pizza dough, dough from the store, or your favorite pre-made bottom, like Naan, French bread, Boboli, etc. Ingredients for Classic Margherita Pizza include fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil. I like lots and lots of cheese so I always add extra shredded mozzarella along with the fresh. I also drizzle this pizza with my Sweet Balsamic Dressing. Oh so good.
To make this pizza, adjust the amount of ingredients to the size you are making. The recipe below is for a large (12″ -14″) pizza. If using a pizza stone, adjust baking time according to the instructions provided with the stone.
- 1 pizza dough or pre-made crust
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, minced or thinly sliced
- favorite marinara/pizza sauce or crushed tomatoes (enough for thin layer)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- fresh mozzarella (sliced approx. 1/4 thick) I used 8 large round slices
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 small tomatoes, seeded (e.g., Plum, Campari, Roma)
- fresh basil
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste (optional)
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- *corn meal to dust pizza stone/pan
Preheat oven to temperature as directed for your pizza dough.
If using Naan or French bread, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Spray baking sheet (pizza pan/cookie sheet) with non-stick cooking spray. Toss/spread dough and place it on baking pan. Brush dough with olive oil and evenly sprinkle garlic. If using sauce/crushed tomatoes, spread a thin layer evenly over dough and then the dried oregano. Next, evenly spread shredded mozzarella (optional) and evenly place the slices of fresh mozzarella and tomatoes on top.
Cook on middle rack of oven as directed for dough. If using Naan or French bread, bake for approximately 15 minutes, until crust starts turn golden brown. Remove, top with fresh basil, Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil or canola
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard (or a little squeeze of yellow or Grey Poupon mustard)
- Few twists of fresh cracked pepper Or use 1/8 tsp of reg ground pepper
Whisk all the ingredients together, until sugar and oil are blended. It takes a few minutes for the oil and sugar to blend. Keep whisking….it will blend.
If using pizza dough, after spraying pizza baking sheet with non-stick spray, try lightly dusting it with corn meal. My sister-in-law showed me this trick – I love the texture and taste the corn meal adds to the crust!
Thanks for stopping by!