Today I am sharing a recipe I grew up with, a staple in my grandparents’ home, especially in the summer – Cottage Cheese Salad. Light, refreshing and healthy too!
GRANDMA’S COTTAGE CHEESE SALAD
Cottage cheese loaded with veggies and seasoned to taste. Perfect for a hot summer day and a great way to use all those garden vegetables. This wonderful salad takes just minutes to make and is so versatile, simple to adapt to your taste. Light, healthy, refreshing…absolutely delicious!
Read rave reviews from people who tried this recipe on Pinterest!
Pictured above is the classic version I grew up with. Cottage cheese with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, onion with salt and pepper to taste.
This is great with your favorite seasonings too. Often I’ll add Italian or Greek seasonings. There are no rules. Add what you like and adjust the amounts.
I love adding a splash of balsamic vinaigrette. If you’re in the mood for something with a kick, try adding a few dashes of Tabasco or hot sauce.
Grandma’s Cottage Cheese Salad
- 16 ounces cottage cheese (1%, 2% or 4%)
- 1/2 to 1 cup tomatoes – cut in bite size pieces, seeded if you like (use your favorite tomatoes – plum, cherry, Roma, fresh from the garden)
- 1/4 cup onion (less or more) -vidalia, any sweet onion, red onion, green onion (use your favorite)
- 1/2 large cucumber (or more), peeled, cut in bite size pieces, seeded if you like. English cucumbers are great with this salad
- salt & pepper to taste
In a medium size bowl, add cottage cheese and veggies – mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve chilled. Enjoy!
- your favorite seasonings (Greek, Italian are great)
- Tabasco, hot sauce
- fresh lemon juice
- any veggies you like – radishes, carrots, peppers and more
- sliced olives
- add a splash of vinaigrette or your favorite Italian or Greek dressing
- Serve with a side of your favorite crackers. I love wheat thins and using the salad as a dip. So good!
Try fruit cocktail. My friend/roommate in college loved cottage cheese topped with fruit cocktail – that was a staple in our apartment! So good.
Thanks so much for stopping by!