“CRAZY CAKE, also known as Wacky Cake & Depression Cake – No Eggs, Milk, Butter, Bowls or Mixers! Super moist and delicious. Go-to recipe for egg/dairy allergies. Great activity to do with kids. Recipe dates back to the Great Depression. It’s darn good cake!”
If you make this new version, please stop by and let me know what you think. Happy baking!
Chocolate Mint CRAZY CAKE (NO EGGS, MILK, BUTTER)
- 1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 cup sugar (All purpose sugar – Granulated Pure Cane Sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 cup water
Directions (picture tutorial below)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix first 5 dry ingredients in a greased 8″ square baking pan. Make 3 depressions in dry ingredients – two small, one larger (see #3 in photo below). Pour vinegar in one depression, peppermint extract in the other and the oil in third larger depression. Pour water over all. Mix well until smooth.
Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes. Check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. Cool. Top with your favorite frosting. Enjoy!
Frosting: Use your favorite chocolate, vanilla or peppermint frosting. For this cake, I didn’t have what I needed to make homemade frosting so I used a can of Betty Crocker Chocolate Frosting from the pantry. I added 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract and mixed it up – it was perfect. You can do the same with a container of vanilla frosting.
Looking for a frosting recipe? Here are a few you may like:
- Peppermint Buttercream Frosting – Vegan & Gluten Free, from Allergy Free Kitchens
- One Minute Chocolate Frosting – with vegan and dairy free options, from the Yummy Life
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate Fudge Frosting – dairy free, from Oh She Glows
- You can double this recipe, just use a 9×13 baking pan.
- Mix batter in a bowl for neater, easier mixing. Be sure to follow the directions the same way – mixing the dry ingredients then making the depressions for the wet ingredients. Don’t forget to grease your pan.
- Mix batter in bowl to make cupcakes. Bake at 350 degrees f for approximately 13 mins. Oven baking times may vary – be sure to check with a tooth pick to make sure you do not over/under bake.
- This cake is fun activity to do with kids.