Today I am sharing one of my family’s favorite meals for over forty years, Easy Chicken Divan – Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole. A comfort food favorite since I was a kid.
Easy Chicken Divan
This classic casserole is layered with rice, chicken and broccoli, smothered in a rich creamy mushroom sauce, topped with cheddar cheese then baked to bubbly, cheesy perfection.
What You Need to Make Easy Chicken Divan
Chicken, Broccoli, Rice (White or Brown), Long Grain Wild Rice, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Mayonnaise, Cheddar Cheese, Salt and Pepper.
HOW TO MAKE EASY CHICKEN DIVAN
Easy Chicken Divan (Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole)
- 1 1/2 -2 lbs chicken breast (or turkey), cooked, diced or shredded
- 1 box Long Grain and Wild Rice, cooked according to package (I use Uncle Ben’s )
- 3 cups brown or white rice, cooked according to package (I make 4 servings on the package, a little less than 3 cups of cooked rice)
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup (10 3/4 ounce cans)
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
- 10 oz bag of frozen broccoli florets cooked according to package (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- To prevent the foil from sticking to the cheese, spray your foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Substitute sour cream for mayonnaise. I always make a separate small casserole for my little one with the egg allergy.
- You can use light mayonnaise and soups.
- Substitute cream of chicken soup for cream of mushroom.
- Use any rice you prefer – all white, all brown, wild rice or mix them up.
- Mushrooms are also a great addition to this casserole. Fresh or canned.
- Great recipe for leftover Thanksgiving turkey.