“A gingery glazed nut topping and brown-butter-spiked cream cheese frosting are the finishing touches for this spectacular spiced pumpkin cake.”
“This is the best cake ever!!!! I made this last year at Thanksgiving and the family was scraping the cake plate for every crumb. With a whole buffet full of desserts, this one had people coming back for more.
” I made this cake for my family get together this week and it was a success! Rave reviews all around, everyone with different tastes had nothing but exciting things to say. I’ve been asked for the recipe by everyone! HUGE SUCCESS!”
This is a slice of sweet autumn on a plate. It’s perfect. Such a pretty dessert too.
NOTE: When I share a tried & true recipe, I always credit the source and often will send you to the site for the directions. All you need to do is click on “Print Recipe” below and it will take you to the full recipe. One extra click for an awesome recipe, that’s it! It’s important to me to share the love and send you to the original source.
Brown Butter Pumpkin Layer Cake
- 6 oz. (3/4 cup) unsalted butter; more for the pans
- 9 oz. (2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour; more for the pans
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- *1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
*Included with this recipe is how to make pumpkin puree for the cake. We opted to use canned.
For the Topping
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup unsalted, raw, hulled pepitas
- 2 Tablespoons. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
For the Frosting
- 4 oz. (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 oz. (1 1/4 cups) confectioners’ sugar