If you are looking for a special dessert this Thanksgiving and holiday season, look no further! This tried and true, Brown Butter Pumpkin Layer Cake, by Jeanne Kelly, featured in Fine Cooking magazine (Issue 107), is simply amazing. This is the BEST cake for Fall and Thanksgiving!
“A gingery glazed nut topping and brown-butter-spiked cream cheese frosting are the finishing touches for this spectacular spiced pumpkin cake.”
This is not a sponsored post – I have no affiliation with Fine Cooking or Jeanne Kelly – I’m just a fan of this amazing recipe!
Read rave reviews from people who tried this recipe on Pinetrest!
Another review – someone loved this cake so much, they made a 3 tier wedding cake with the recipe!
“I will be making this for Thanksgiving for the fourth year in a row. This cake is so delicious that it has now replaced some of the pies we used to have. Lots of steps but well worth the end result!”
“This is the best cake ever!!!! I made this last year at Thanksgiving and the family was scraping the cake plate for every crumb. With a whole buffet full of desserts, this one had people coming back for more.”
“Absolutely excellent. Made it twice to rave reviews, including my husband who usually is not a dessert person.”
“Probably, the best cake I have ever had. This is my favorite recipe and a serious crowd pleaser. This cake is impressive.”
” I made this cake for my family get together this week and it was a success! Rave reviews all around, everyone with different tastes had nothing but exciting things to say. I’ve been asked for the recipe by everyone! HUGE SUCCESS!”
NOTE: This is not a sponsored post, I have no affiliation with Fine Cooking or Jeanne Kelly – I’m just a fan of this amazing recipe!When I share a tried & true recipe, I always credit the source and often will send you to the site for the directions. All you need to do is click on “Print Recipe” below and it will take you to the full recipe. One extra step for an awesome recipe, that’s it! It’s important to me to share the love and send you to the original source.
Brown Butter Pumpkin Layer Cake
- 6 oz. (3/4 cup) unsalted butter; more for the pans
- 9 oz. (2 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour; more for the pans
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- *1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
*Included with this recipe is how to make pumpkin puree for the cake. We opted to use canned.
For the Topping
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup unsalted, raw, hulled pepitas
- 2 Tablespoons. firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
For the Frosting
- 4 oz. (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 oz. (1 1/4 cups) confectioners’ sugar