Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos – Only 4 ingredients are needed to make these insanely delicious, ridiculously easy tacos. They will knock your socks off! A Sweet Little Bluebird original recipe.
SLOW COOKER QUESO CHICKEN TACOS
Made with only a few ingredients – chicken breasts are slow cooked to fall apart tender perfection in tasty taco seasoning, diced tomatoes and green chilies, then shredded and smothered in velvety queso. Serve in hard or soft shell tacos topped with your favorite taco toppings. The chicken is also great for burritos, wraps and bowls. This recipe is super easy to adapt to your taste and a great way to feed a crowd.
Read rave reviews from people who tried this recipe on Pinterest (photos)!
Read More Reviews
This recipe is slightly adapted from my popular Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos.
What You Need
Boneless skinless chicken breasts, taco seasoning, chicken broth (optional), Rotel, green chiles (optional), queso, taco shells and your favorite taco toppings.
**Original post, Jan 20, 2019 – Updated April 2, 2020 – If you have limited food supplies, you can omit the green chiles and the chicken broth, the chicken will still be tender, flavorful and delicious. If you do not have Rotel, you can substitute with salsa. This recipe is super easy to adapt!
How To Make
Lightly spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken in a single layer and sprinkle taco seasoning evenly on top. In a medium size bowl, add Rotel, green chiles and chicken broth, mix well and pour over chicken. Cook on high for 4-6 hours (adjust cooking time according to how fast/slow your cooker cooks – for some cookers, chicken may be done in 3-4 hours on high).
When ready, drain excess liquid leaving just a smidgen behind (I use a soup ladle), then shred chicken using two forks. Last, spoon queso on top and gently mix with chicken, coating chicken evenly. Cook on low for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with your favorite toppings, enjoy!
Ready for tacos…
Chicken tacos are on regular rotation in my home, when I served these tacos last week, my family absolutely loved them, giving dinner two big thumbs up! They kept going back for more, leaving the cooker empty with no leftovers. An empty pot is always a good sign for a winning recipe!
IF YOU LOVE QUESO, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME RECIPES
Easy Layered Taco Bake from The Country Cook – “A simple and quick weeknight meal with layers of tortillas, ground beef and salsa con queso!”
Taco Rice with Queso from South Your Mouth – A fantastic one-pan skillet dinner.
Please Note – This is NOT a sponsored post. I have no affiliation with any of products used in this recipe.
Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos
Original Recipe Date – Jan 20, 2019
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 packet (1 ounce) of your favorite taco seasoning or use homemade
- 10 ounce can of Rotel with lime juice and cilantro (you can use Original Rotel too, or use homemade Rotel – Tomatoes and Green Chilies)
- 4 ounce can mild diced green chiles (optional)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (optional)
- 3/4 cup salsa con queso – use your favorite brand or use homemade
- taco shells, hard or soft
- favorite toppings – lettuce, tomato, cheddar cheese, onions, jalapenos, sour cream, guacamole, fresh lime, cilantro, hot sauce, queso
**UPDATE April 2, 2020 – If you have limited supplies, you can omit the green chiles and the chicken broth and it will still be fantastic. If you do not have Rotel, you can substitute with salsa. This recipe is easy to adapt!
Simplified with only 4-Ingredients: Chicken Breasts, Taco Seasoning, Rotel or Salsa and Queso.
- *Adjust cooking time according to how fast or slow your cooker cooks – for some slow cookers, cooking on high, chicken may be ready in 3-4 hours
- Use the chicken for tacos, burritos, bowls and wraps.
- I purchased a jar of queso and used the leftover as a topping and for tortilla chips.
- You can use original Rotel or Rotel hot – this recipe is super easy to adapt to your taste if you like things spicy/hot.
Sharing this recipe at Weekend Potluck.