Today I am sharing another way to enjoy the Great Depression era treasured recipe, Crazy Cake! After so many requests about cupcakes, I decided to share how simple they are to make.
CRAZY CUPCAKES – NO EGGS, MILK or BUTTER
Also known as Wacky Cake & Depression Cake – No Eggs, Milk or Butter. Super moist and delicious. Go-to recipe for egg/dairy allergies. Great activity to do with kids. Recipe dates back to the Great Depression. Darn good cupcakes!
*These cupcakes can be made Gluten Free too, see link below in Tips!
These delicious cupcakes are perfect for parties, especially at school when there is a good chance a child may have a food allergy. Everyone should be able to enjoy yummy cake. This recipe will have every child (adults too) smiling ear-to-ear!
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CRAZY CUPCAKES
Dry Ingredients: Flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa, salt and baking soda.
Wet Ingredients: Vegetable oil (or canola), white vinegar, vanilla and water.
HOW TO MAKE CRAZY CUPCAKES
Crazy Cupcakes – No Eggs, Milk or Butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 tablespoon cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 cup sugar (all purpose sugar – Granulated Pure Cane Sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (make sure your baking soda is fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil (or canola)
- 1 cup water
Directions (picture tutorial above)
Store in a sealed container.
- Most ready made frosting in the baking isle at grocery stores are dairy free and are a good option if you don’t want to make your own. Be sure to read the label for food allergies.
- For a dairy free frosting recipe, head over to Oh She Glows for a simple 2-ingredient chocolate fudge frosting recipe.
- For a great easy chocolate frosting (my favorite) head over to THE YUMMY LIFE, for a ONE MINUTE FROSTING recipe.
All of my Crazy Cake recipes can be found here, and each can be made into cupcakes by simply mixing the batter in a bowl and following the directions above.
*Gluten Free Crazy Cupcakes
If you are looking for Gluten Free Crazy Cupcakes, please head to Bob’s Red Mill and use their GF Crazy Cake recipe. The only change you need to make is mixing the batter in a bowl – follow the same directions above for oven temperature and baking time.
Thanks so much for stopping by!